Thursday, August 26, 2010

Another Unexpected Beauty

The next stop on our Places of Unknown (for most) Beauty Tour takes us to Africa.  Somewhere I've even researched visiting...someday.

Where one can sip a perfect espresso...


at an Art Deco cafe...


take in some Italian Art Deco architecture...


and of course ask a local how to get back to the Howard Johnsons.


Where Oh Where, D-H?

Eritrea.

I want a 38-page paper on my desk my tomorrow at 5am...SHARP!

(photo credits from top to bottom: Tarluci, Tarluci, Kemela, and Art Naphro)

4 comments:

Laurent said...

Any points for punctuality, in case it's lighter?

DM said...

I suppose. As long as its above 30...

Laurent said...

I'm really dazzled by 2 pictures here, I should have admitted. I wasn't reluctant, I was just so concerned about 5am (which is sacredly English Cocktertime, Herein Fail Not) that it took me half a day to realise this is only an outer limit, not an appointment, as in the levée of a house pet. Now, then, the pictures. The one I do not condone is, nevertheless, dazzling, and it's of the architecture, which is adorable, but terribly naughty in its provenance on that particular ground. But the beaker in the first frame proposes a fabulously sumptuous something-or-other, to which one is always prone, no matter by what force of arms imparted. Almost. Anyway, now you have my 30-plus pages, and I still have my dog.

Bordeaux said...

My heart has been aching for a trip to Eritrea for years now. I want to go to Asmara and just move from the one old espresso cafe to the next. Thanks for reviving an old longing again.