Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Miss Rumphius and her lupins...


I saw this picture the other day on Broken Blossoms and was catapulted back to second grade, sitting Indian-style around Miss Martin, the student teacher, as she read us "Miss Rumphius."  I think I was the only kid in class interested in this one.  If I remember correctly, Miss Rumphius, as a young woman planted lupins in her hometown, then sets off traversing the globe, planting lupins where she please.  She returns home, an older lady, where her lupins wait for her with bated breath.  Whenever I see a lupin, all these years later, I always think back to that class, and how much I wanted (still want) that to be my life. 

And to think they thought I never paid attention!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

she's like the johnny appleseed of lupins!

The Down East Dilettante said...

Few sights are more stirring in early summer than a field of lupine by the sea. From now on, I'll thank Miss Rumphius for the annual June displays

Victoria Thorne said...

Miss Rumphius was who I wanted to be. I read the book over and over to my children. It gives me shivers, just looking at her here.

She belongs here. You have that in your life, and you share it with all of us. How can we be so lucky?

Thank you. This is such joy to see.

DM said...

Thanks all...and Miss Rumphius!

Victoria, I had the same reaction...I recognized it, got a chill, then realized where I recognized it from. I should right a letter to Barbara Cooney.

Victoria Thorne said...

sweetie, i think we missed her by ten years.

she actually came to the children's bookstore (a.k.a. heaven on earth: hicklebees) that i worked at in the early 90's. well, she visited before the early 90's. how i would have loved to have met her (but she would've been one i couldn't talk in front of: that happened with Julie Andrews. can you imagine? mary poppins signing books right in front of me. i was verklempt and hanging off of cloud 9)

anyway, an illustration from Island Boy (the kids jumping on the beds, surrounded by "walls" made of sails; girls plaiting hair, climbing stairs with candle...) hangs right where i can see it first thing in the morning. because few things make me happier.

(whew, that was a long one ;)

Carrick said...

Dan, all I can say is Prince Edward Island and lupins. Late June into July I think is the season. And Victoria Thorne's first comment, second paragraph, second and third sentence.

DM said...

Garsh Carrick and Victoria, your comments are so sweet...I'm gushing. Just when I was thinking no one reads this anymore! Thank you so so much, you made my day!