Thursday, December 23, 2010

Arabella Strange


Don't you love when you find a piece of work from one of your favorite artists that you seemingly thought you knew everything about, yet have never seen before?  This just happened to me with Kay Nielsen, a master from the Golden Age of Illustration.  I've been scouring all my books about him, but alas! have found nothing.  It came from a Tumblr, so there's even less evidence there..

Can anyone tell me which story this glorious illustration belongs to?

(Those of you who've read 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' will recognize my reference)

9 comments:

Steven Cain said...

Dropped in to visit by way of Little Augrey... What a breathtaking illustration! And blog! Sorry, I've nothing to offer on that print... hope you don't mind if I browse.

Daniel-Halifax said...

By all means!! The kettle's on, stay a while!!

katie said...

too wonderful for words

Kim said...

I absolutely adored Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. This illustration captures Arabella perfectly.

Also, I found your blog through Stuck in a Book's recent post. Your comment made me laugh. I, too, read Merry Hall, but forgot it was an autobiography--so entertaining! Love your blog.

Daniel-Halifax said...

We must have MUCH in common, Kim!! :)

And as I think back Merry Hall isn't much of an autobiography at all! More a memoir I guess! Thanks for stopping by.

Jay said...

This is such a completely perfect illustration for Arabella. Bravo, sir!

As for the image itself: I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's a one-off watercolor inspired by "The Story of a Mother." It's not the image that accompanies the same story in Fairy Tales by Hans Andersen, but it definitely fits with the text.

Also, the original sold for £18,000 in 2008: http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/WService=wslive_pub/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=EUR&screen=lotdetailsNoFlash&iSaleItemNo=4078572&iSaleNo=17023&iSaleSectionNo=1

Daniel-Halifax said...

WOW Jay, thank you! That was one of my problems, not knowing the story...and I can't believe you found where it was sold. Well done! You're hired!

alat bantu sex said...

Greetings from us

??? Behind visit our blog ???
= alat bantu sex

alat bantu sex said...

Greetings from us, Regarding Information

alat bantu sex

jual alat bantu sex

alat bantu sex wanita

alat bantu sex pria

alat bantu sex