Monday, June 18, 2012

The True Deceiver


As beautifully as Tove Jansson described summer life in The Summer Book, she captures the same magic of winter in The True Deceiver.  Both recommendations came from Simon at Stuck in a Book, and I couldn't be more appreciative.  I've been introduced to an amazing writer.

Katri Kling and Anna Aemelin are two women living in the same village from completely different backgrounds.  While Anna is older, admired and originally from the village (everything is written in reference to lightness with her), Katri is yellow-eyed, mysterious, brutally honest, always in black and an outsider with her younger brother.  Katri is a genius with numbers and has 'helped' all in the village.  Anna a bit of a air-head (?) is her next victim, so-to-say, and the story continues on from there.

The relationship morphs subtlety but fiercly all with the background of the endlessly snowy winter transforming into spring.  As the story continues we start to wonder who really is the victim is it Anna or Katri?  The townsfolk were also incredible characters in their own way, gossiping, showing their mistrust to any outsider, all with a blue-eyed smile. 

Ruth Rendell aptly said:  "I felt transported to that remote region of Sweden and wheni I finished I read it all over again.  The characters still haunt me."

The landscape reminded me of the snowy winters back home in Rhode Island near the sea.  I took the above photo last year before I moved to Italy.  And I leave you with Lykke Li, who's video I kept referencing in my head whilst reading about Katri Kling.

12 comments:

a misterious teacher said...

vedo che frequenti le lezioni degli altri, anzi delle altre, e non le mie :`(

Daniel said...

ma e' simplicimente che l'altro insegnante e' il mio prefirito...scherzo!!

non e' vero...ho dovuto lavorare!

"mysterious"

Md Rajon said...

I am here to tell you that blog commenting is one of the most powerful traffic generation methods around. I believe blog commenting has taken over what traditional article marketing used to be.

Stock Commissions

autoasesor tucson 2016  said...

My business is your doleful centered business among this fillet serene and hoist an particular developing your ranch to aid iridescence hesitate your enormous attention.autoasesor tucson 2016

kurzy said...

Hellos craze for acting started in lofty college, during by happen he walked by the tragedy group also saw the undergraduates acting love poultrys.kurzy

Plantation knee injury attorney said...

This is a amazing inspiring composition.I am gorgeous plenty pleased among your salubrious process.You put truly really cooperative info.Plantation knee injury attorney

novelty bow ties said...

I grew up with fig trees in the yard and have always been intimidated by them. Their dry flesh, sweetness, and mild astringency were a confusion in my mouth. I deemed figs as fruit for grown ups and left them alone. No amount of fig preserves pushed on me by grandma could change my mind. novelty bow ties

peacock feathers said...

I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day!peacock feathers

Tree Pruning Long island said...

This article was written by a real thinking writer. I agree many of the with the solid points made by the writer. I’ll be back.Tree Pruning Long island

limo services ct said...

you are so creative! I love all of these ideas! limo services ct

procurement said...

Hello, just wanted to say, I loved this article. It was practical.procurement

domain names and registration said...

I’m definitely coming again to see these articles and blogs.domain names and registration