Thursday, February 25, 2010

Die Andere Seite

Certainly the scariest art exhibit I've ever seen was Alfred Kubin's at Neue Galerie. His already graphically horrifying pictures were set off by low lighting, dark walls, velvet curtains, and a quiet clock ticking ever so gently in the background. I was palpitating and nauseus within a half hour.

Obviously effective because I haven't forgot it. One in particular, 'Solitude,' was a favorite, but I can't seem to find it.

Although his drawings were morbid and macabre, expressing the terrible turn of events that happened to him as a young man, he lived a relatively happy life and had a successful marriage into his golden years. Shows the power of art therapy.

1 comment:

Scott Fazzini said...

WOW! I'd never heard of this artist... thanks for sharing. His work is outstanding! I'm off to research more...