Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Japanese Years, Continued

I've posted about the formative years my father spent with his family in Japan.  Of all the places he lived, Japan was by far his favorite.  As a kid I would look at the three lacquered albums in absolute awe and daydream about what life would have been like for them and wonder why weren't still there.  Here are a few of the black and whites:


My favorite picture of my Grandmama (she wanted us to call her that...we didn't) ever.  I'm impressed with my grandpa's eye for composition!


Grandpa with his best friend, Fuji and others.  The picture was labled "fakku."  I'm guessing that's where he learned it's meaning.


Fuji and a maiko.  Don't you just love Fuji?


On a sightseeing trip through the countryside with the boys.


The last photo in the albums and my favorite.  Fuji working the dancefloor with Grandma and Grandpa dancing in the background.  They were quite the dancers and even in old age Grandma looked like her feet were never touching the ground.

6 comments:

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Daniel, I love Fuji! What gorgeous pictures xx

Anonymous said...

fuji is so handsome!

quintessence said...

Wonderful!! I'm with Christina and Sarah - Fuji has style!! Love that first photo of your Grandma.

Laurent said...

Beautiful, Daniel.

DM said...

Thank you Christina!

Sarah, Fuji could be a film star!

Quintessence, I love his black trench coat. I have something like that, but it doesn't look half as good on me!

Laurent, domo arigato.

Jason Hudson Dot Com said...

AMAZING.
So happy to see more from this time.