Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A perfect day


Yesterday was one of those days where traffic didn't exist and everything seemed euphoric.  From meeting Leigh, one of this blog's first commenters, to seeing Chaos and Classicism: Art in France, Italy and Germany, 1918-1936 at the Guggenheim, it was all a dream.  For those of you who like what I feature on this blog, you will love that exhibit.  All the interwar Neoclassicism bliss that I can't seem to get enough of.  Good to know a sampling of the history in the city that will shortly be my home.

 These photographs of dancer Isadora Duncan by Edward Steichen were the absolute highlight.



5 comments:

christina said...

Daniel, are you still in NYC? Neue Galerie (5th & 86th) has charming Wiener Werkstatte post cards, show ends later this month - http://www.neuegalerie.org/exhibitions/wiener-werkst%C3%A4tte-postcards

and then downstairs for time travel and deliriously delicious food and furnishings at the fabulous Cafe Sabarsky - http://www.neuegalerie.org/cafes/sabarsky

xoxo!

AB said...

Blast! My next NY trip will be too late for this exhibition. It looks wonderful. Is the catalogue worth buying?

DM said...

Christina- I do hope to catch that show! I love the Weiner Werkstatte AND Neue Galerie. I had some sort of layered cake, with chocolate and hazelnut, at Cafe Sabarsky a few years ago and have been craving it ever since. Everytime I go back it's sold out!

Anthony- SO worth it! If I was a few pennys richer I'd buy it myself...

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Agree, those photos were fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed the exhibit. I also loved the 360º bust of Il Duce.

DM said...

EaEL- I still can't get over how my favorite paintings were in Hitler's apartment!