Thursday, September 8, 2011

Visto per Studio

The other day when I announced my move to Italy, I had a bit of apprehension.  Was it too soon?  What if I didn't get my visa?  Did I just jinx myself?  Well, lads and ladies of the court, yesterday after a second attempt, I got my visa!  Last week when I went, the pseudo-Italian man at the Consulate flipped through my 500 pieces of required paperwork, wrote a lot of red writing, then looked at me gravely and said, "This is a 7 out of 10," and then proceeded to tell me that I needed two things changed a little bit.  I guess he's the dramatic one at the office.  Yesterday, a sweet lady at the counter licked her fingers, flipped through my papers in about 14 seconds and then said, "Your visa will be ready on Monday. NEXT!"

I feel like I've won an Oscar or something.  I just want to tell everyone I pass on the street.  It's a relief and a cause for celebration!

5 comments:

An Urban Cottage said...

Congrats!

I had to laugh when when you described the woman who licked her finger because it reminded me of a woman at a sub shop in the North End who used to lick her finger to pick up a piece of deli paper to get a nice seeded roll and then lick her finger again to get a grip on a slice of cheese. Oh, the memories.

Blue said...

Auguri!

David Toms said...

Congratulations. And a lottery it might turn out to be!

StuckInABook said...

Wow wow wow! I look forward to hearing your Italian adventures...

Victoria Thorne said...

such extreme great happiness- it is all as it should be