Monday, June 21, 2010

For those who dream of having a farm in Africa...


If you know anything about me, you know that...

The 1920's + Africa + Adultery (I jest) = Perfection!

...So when Tavarua recommended The Bolter to me I couldn't resist.   It tells the fascinating story of a Idina Sackville, known for leaving her husband and two young children and moving clear to Africa.  Nancy Mitford characterized her in Love in a Cold Climate and The Pursuit of Love. Greta Garbo played her in the silent film, The Green HatA monster you must be thinking as did I.  As did the the writer, Frances Osborne, Sackville's great-granddaughter.

But when you read what Osborne uncovered reading through family journals, you find out what really was behind her leaving.  Your blood will boil in defence of her and your heart will break. 

Without giving too much away, she was an amazing lady.  When she moved to Kenya, she built a grand home, Clouds, overlooking the Rift Valley.  She would ride her horse and work all day on the farm barefoot in corduroys, then show up to a party wearing the latest Paris Couture flawlessly.  She was in constant search for love, but never seemed to love anyone as much as her first, Euan Wallace, the father of the two boys.


Karen and Bror Blixon were mentioned throughout, as were the other unique characters of the Happy Valley set.

Like all biographies they always end in death, and this one really devastated me.  I didn't want it to end!  Read it.  Then call me and we can cry about it together.

10 comments:

La Bonne Vivante said...

I will read it! I loved Mitford's characterization of The Bolter and would love to hear her side of the story!

Have you read Don't Let's go to the Dogs Tonight?

DM said...

I haven't but this looks WONDERFUL! I've never read any of her work, but Elspeth Huxley is also supposed to have quite a few books about growing up in Efffrica.

Anonymous said...

If by horse you mean bicycle, and by Paris couture you mean thrift shops, then this sounds just like me!

Hannah Stoneham said...

I have had my eye on this one for a while. Have you seen/read White Mischief? I think that you would enjoy it.

Hope that you are having a happy Tuesday and thanks for sharing

Hannah

Dash said...

Daniel I did a similar post based on, 'The White Mischief murder' also another book recommendation you may enjoy, pop over to mine and look for White Mischief in labels.

The bolter is already on my humongous Amazon wish list! going to convert it soon...

Dash said...

Apologies, I did not make myself very clear the book is: 'The Temptress' The scandalous life of Alice Countess De Janze. By Paul Spicer.

DM said...

Oh this is getting better and better! I haven't read either of these books, but pretty much know where I'll be clicking in a minute. Thanks guys! This is why it's good to blog.

Anonymous said...

oh, i HAVE to read this!

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

I loved White Michief and will definitely get The Bolter on your recommendation Daniel xx

Bordeaux said...

Sounds like an awesome read. Just finally read Out of Africa myself and loved it.